10 August 2010

Navigating in areas not covered by OpenStreetMap

I spent the last couple of weeks cycling in France. It was not an area well covered by OpenStreetMap, but I found a way of keeping to the roads I wanted to.

I started by setting the routes in Google Maps.



Then I used the bookmark from GMaptoGpx to download a KML and followed the instructions provided by this great tool to run it through GPS visualizer.

The resulting gpx was readily importable to RoadTrip, from where it could be transferred to the Garmin.

On the Garmin itself I choose Where To > Saved Rides > [ride name] > Map Setup. Then I chose a colour and clicked show on map. I could then follow the route around. Don't choose navigate.

[Note: there is a bug in Garmin's 3.2 software that means that once you have a map shown on screen un-clicking the show option does not work.]

No comments: