27 March 2010

TimeMachine on an external hard drive

I tried to make a LaCie drive connected to the USB port of my Belkin N+ available for TimeMachine back-ups.  The Belkin uses SAMBA but can only share a FAT(32) partition, and Apple seem to have found ways to prevent homebrew approaches.

I was mainly following these instructions.

1. Making the disk accessible
After trying too many options, it seems I could not get it to work despite great instructions with a disk formatted for ntfs - although the router could find and share it (which it can't do for Linux or Mac formats), it was still not possible to write to the sparsebundle. Went back to FAT32 and I think it works.

2. Unable to backup
I have a lot of problems accessing the disk once I have mounted it using finder:
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 80.


Is it possible that I had to mount the disk as guest in finder before it was accessible to timemachine?  Also looks as though the disk was badly corrupted - even these instructions to use fsck_hfs didn't work.

No comments: